Discussion: Is learning to code still worth it?

Hey folks,

Someone in our community asked this question a few days ago, but deleted it before anyone saw it. Reposting it, as I think this is a relevant question.

I’m a junior developer, and with AI agents becoming so common, it feels like fewer and fewer people are actually writing code by hand. I’m still coding everything myself, but when I see experienced developers constantly talking about tokens, prompts, AI agents, and how they use AI to write code, I sometimes start to feel pretty anxious.

Does learning coding or doing challenges like CodeCrafters help me in getting a job?

In your experience, what would you tell someone who is just starting out? Where should they spend their time? If you are hiring junior developers, what skills/qualities do you look for?

I had posted this before, but I deleted it because I felt it might not quite fit the nature of this community. I feel a little embarrassed posting it again.

I’d really appreciate it if anyone feels comfortable sharing their thoughts or opinions. I’m genuinely very curious to hear what others think.

I’m using a translator, so I apologize if some of what I’m trying to say doesn’t come across clearly.